Kerry Packer wasn't Hyderabadi, but that's okay - here's how it may have been. And in all probability, there might be someone you know here. Perhaps several!
The Sports Coaching Foundation, a non-profit voluntary organisation, is organising the APSACS Day And Night Cricket Tournament, at these grounds in Masab Tank, from 9th September to 15th September.
This tournament is being sponsored by Andhra Pradesh State AIDS Control Society, and has 16 teams participating in it. They are divided into four groups.
Group A consists of Health Secretary, Aurobindo Pharma, Bitranet and IRS Club; Group B has Sigma Hospitals, L G Electronics, Octo Dents Club and C S Software; Group C has Green Park, Veva, Taj Krishna and IJM India Infra; and Group D has Mathur Vysya Club, NMDC, AIDS Control Society and Mentor Graphics.
The matches will be played as league-cum-knockout basis with each side consisting of 8 players only. Participants who have played in Ranji Trophy should be over 50 years.
Some of the rules are:
1. If a batsman hits the ball out of the ground, no run will be awarded.
2. There is no LBW Law in this tournament.
3. In case of a tie, the run rate will be taken to consideration, and the decision of the adjudicating committee will be final and binding.
4. Each team will play 12 overs, and should complete the quota of overs within 45 minutes. In case of non-completion, the remaining overs have to be bowled, and the batting team will be awarded double the run rate.
5. The winning team will get 5 points.
6. A batsman should retire from his innings after scoring 30 runs. He can however bat again after six wickets are down.
7. Each Bowler can bowl a maximum of 3 overs in the 12 overs match.
8. A no-ball bowled will fetch two runs to the batting side.
All the participating teams will be given T-shirts to play the matches, with the tournament's logo. There will be Man-of-the-Match awards and other prizes. The best cheering side will get a special prize.
Please contact K Saibaba, Secretary of SCF at 93965-59440 for further details.