Ever got a receptionist for Rs. 2,85,000? The value proposition is quite cool
- this one can work 24/7, looks great and does not get upset by your temper
tantrums. There are some things that she can't do, too, but that isn't about
take away from her attraction. She's made of bronze, and looks like she could
be in Khajuraho. And she's just one of hundreds of exquisitely handicrafted
things at this exhibition.
Poompuhar is the common name for the Tamilnadu Handicrafts Development Corporation,
the organizer of this exhibition. It has 20 sales outlets all across the country,
and this one is being organized by the Bangalore branch, that has brought together
40 artisans from across the country to display their wares here. The brass and
bronze statues here have been exclusively manufactured by Poompuhar, though.
Some of the things that are really attractive are the Tanjavur picture paintings
of the various gods, costing Rs. 1,500 to Rs. 1,50,000. Stone carvings, priced
Rs. 6,000 to Rs. 15,000, are also cool acquisitions for your home. The wall
panels and hangings and the rosewood inlay products, costing anything from Rs.
10 to Rs. 40,000 are other attractions. The most expensive here are the bronze
statues, priced from Rs. 1,000 to Rs. 4,50,000 (ouch!). The reason for that
cost, apart from the cost of the metal itself, the organizers tell us, is that
these are done manually, and each takes 3-6 months in creating, through a long
process that would interest you pretty much if you were a metallurgy student.
There are textiles here, too. This is the complete list:
1. Bronze statues - Rs. 1,000 - Rs. 4,50,000
2. Lampstands - Rs. 70 - Rs. 2,20,000
3. Wood carvings - Rs. 300 - Rs. 1,20,000
4. Tanjavur picture paintings - Rs. 1,500 - Rs. 1,50,000
5. Stone carvings - Rs. 6,000 - Rs. 15,000
6. Textiles - hand embroidery, cotton saris, lucknow chikan churidar sets, kalamkari
saris, bedspreads and lungis, and Kanchipuram silk saris - Rs. 50 - Rs. 15,000
7. Teapoys - Rs. 300 - 40,000
8. Jewelry (silver filgiri, pearls, temple jewelry), rosewood inlay products,
wall panels, wall hangings - Rs. 10 - Rs. 40,000
9. Terrakota (clay pottery) - Rs. 30 - Rs. 800
Please contact M Vadivelu at 331-6542 for further details.