Kalasagaram's 42nd Annual Festival of Music, Dance & Drama
is on at Keyes High School, from 28th November to 6th December.
On the 3rd day of the festival, the brother-sister duo of Lalgudi G J R Krishnan & Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi will be performing a violin duet recital. They will be accompanied by Mannargudi A Eswaran on the mridangam and K Vaikkom Gopalakrishnan on the kanjira.
GJR began his early lessons on the violin at the age of 5, under the tutelage of his grandfather and guru Lalgudi Gopala Iyer, and later from his father Lalgudi Jayaraman. He is a Post-Graduate in Commerce (M Com), a Cost And Works Accountant (ICWA) and a Company Secretary (ACS). He chose music as his profession, out of his love for the art.
Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi commenced her lessons at the age of 6 under the watchful eyes of her illustrous father Lalgudi Jayaraman. She holds a Master of Arts in English Literature, and has followed it up with a diploma in music. She had her first performance at the age of 13 alongside her father.
The brother and sister duo have performed all over India and abroad, always receiving rave reviews. Their concerts overseas have been at Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Italy, West Germany, the USA, Canada, the Middle East and Greece. In 1996 alone, Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi performed in 33 cities in the USA and Canada. The pair has released several cassettes and CDs together, in addition to their individual endeavors.
The schedule of the 9-day festival is as follows:
- Nadaswaram By D A Ramulu & Party
- Felicitations & Conferring Of The Title "Sangeetha Kalasagara" On Dr. Nookala Chinnasatyanarayana, G J R Krishnan and V Kamalakara Rao
- Vocal Recital By Dr. Nookala Chinnasatyanarayana
- Prize Distribution To Winners Of Annual Music & Dance Competitions
- Bharatanatyam By Priyadarshini Govind
- Violin Duet By Lalgudi G J R Krishnan & Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi
- Carnatic Vocal By Sudha Raghunathan
- Carnatic Vocal By Neyveli Santhana Gopalan
- Carnatic Vocal By Malladi Brothers
- Fusion Music By Rajesh Vaidya & Party
- Tamil Comedy Play Meesai Aanalum Manaivi
- Tamil Comedy Play Chocolate Krishna
Kalasagaram is a south-Indian cultural association situated in the East Nehru Nagar of East Marredpally, and has been organising Carnatic music concerts for more than 35 years now. The concerts are usually held in the Keyes High School campus in the open-air theatre. The singers are generally from outside Hyderabad, usually amateurs and upcoming artistes, and quite competent. Kalasagaram also occasionally stages south-Indian classical dances and Tamil plays.
The entry to this cultural festival is by daily donor passes of Rs. 100, Rs. 50 & Rs. 25 per head. Season passes are also available for Rs. 400, Rs. 300 & Rs. 200 per head. Please contact V Rajagopal, General Secretary of Kalasagaram, at 2773-1775 for further details.