Kalasagaram's 42nd Annual Festival of Music, Dance & Drama
is on at Keyes High School, from 28th November to 6th December.
Rajhesh Vaidhya will be presenting a fusion music concert with his veena, supported by N Mohana Raman on the mridangam, Paramasivam on the kanjira, Chandrasekara Sarma on ghatam, Dheenadayalan on the morsing, Subramanyam on the drums and special effects, and Navneeth Sundar on the keyboard.
Rajhesh Vaidhya was brought up in a rich musical environment. His father, K M Vaidyanathan, was a stalwart, both in the mridangam and the ghatam. Vaidhya's tutelage under Jeyalakshmi started at the tender age of 6. He continued learning the finer nuances of music from Rama Nambinarayanan, and had his advanced training under the world-renowned Carnatic veena maestro Dr. Chitti Babu.
Vaidhya is a renowned musician not only in India - his fame and popularity have spread in musical stages around the world, including in Europe, Brazil, South Africa, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Mauritius, Canada and the USA. He has also performed with the Switzerland-based contemporary dance troupe Bejart Ballet.
Apart from speed, Vaidhya's performance is distinguished by his use of electric and amplified strings. He has been described as intriguing and technically enticing artists within the veena and the South-Indian music tradition. In 2001, Vaidhya was honoured with the title Sri Kanchi Kamakoti Peeta Aasthana Vidwan. He also devotes his time to enlightening young minds in the area of music.
The schedule of the 9-day festival is as follows:
- Nadaswaram By D A Ramulu & Party
- Felicitations & Conferring Of The Title "Sangeetha Kalasagara" On Dr. Nookala Chinnasatyanarayana, G J R Krishnan and V Kamalakara Rao
- Vocal Recital By Dr. Nookala Chinnasatyanarayana
- Prize Distribution To Winners Of Annual Music & Dance Competitions
- Bharatanatyam By Priyadarshini Govind
- Violin Duet By Lalgudi G J R Krishnan & Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi
- Carnatic Vocal By Sudha Raghunathan
- Carnatic Vocal By Neyveli Santhana Gopalan
- Carnatic Vocal By Malladi Brothers
- Fusion Music By Rajesh Vaidya & Party
- Tamil Comedy Play Meesai Aanalum Manaivi
- Tamil Comedy Play Chocolate Krishna
Kalasagaram is a south-Indian cultural association situated in the East Nehru Nagar of East Marredpally, and has been organising Carnatic music concerts for more than 35 years now. The concerts are usually held in the Keyes High School campus in the open-air theatre. The singers are generally from outside Hyderabad, usually amateurs and upcoming artistes, and quite competent. Kalasagaram also occasionally stages south-Indian classical dances and Tamil plays.
The entry to this cultural festival is by daily donor passes of Rs. 100, Rs. 50 & Rs. 25 per head. Season passes are also available for Rs. 400, Rs. 300 & Rs. 200 per head. Please contact V Rajagopal, General Secretary of Kalasagaram, at 2773-1775 for further details.