It seems to be crafts season, what with tongue-twisting, queer sounding arts, as well as common favourites making their way to exhibitions dotting the whole city. Dastkar India brings you the Sankranti Mela, a grab-bag of crafts you must not miss:
- Yetikoppakka and Kondapalli toys
- Textiles from AP
- Terracotta Jewelry from Chigguru, Karnataka
- Block prints from Gujarat
- Kalahasti Kalamkari paintings
- Costume thread and bead work from Rajasthan
- Woollens from Kulu
- Leather and wood work from Rajasthan
- Warangal dhurries and Ikkat bedspreads
Priced between Rs. 15 to Rs. 700, these easy grabs are on display at YMCA, Secunderabad, till the 5th of January.
Dastkar Andhra is a non-profit registered organization working on natural dyeing, design, technology development, policy, research and advocacy on behalf of the handloom industry. Its marketing wing Dastkar Andhra Marketing Association supports the weaving societies in its marketing efforts, which in turn are catered to by its design studio, which assists the weavers in retaining its unique identity alongside conforming to the changing market trends.
For further details, please contact 2772-1735.