Kalasagaram's 42nd Annual Festival of Music, Dance & Drama
is on at Keyes High School, from 28th November to 6th December.
Neyveli R Santhana Gopalan will perform a Carnatic vocal recital on the 5th day of the festival, accompanied by Peri Sreerama Murthy on the violin, D S R Murthy on the mridangam, P V Ramana Murthy on ghatam, K Shyam Kumar on kanjira and K Radha Padmaja on the morsing.
Santhana Gopalan is a versatile musician who learnt music under the tutelage of illustrious gurus Chembai C S Ananthamani Bhagavathar and Srirangam Ranganathan. He has had an intensive gurukulam
education under the maestro Madurai T N Seshagopalan, which helped him blossom into the artiste that he is today.
He is a regular at all the major music halls in the Carnatic music circuit. He is a recognized Grade A artiste on All-India Radio and Doordarshan. He has frequently toured India and abroad. He was conferred upon the titles Isai Peroli by Kartik Fine Arts, Vanikala Sudhakara by Thyaga Brahma Gana Sabha, Nada Bhooshanam by Shanmukhananda Sabha (Delhi), and Vidhwan and Asthana Vidwan by the Sringeri Math.
The schedule of the 9-day festival is as follows:
- Nadaswaram By D A Ramulu & Party
- Felicitations & Conferring Of The Title "Sangeetha Kalasagara" On Dr. Nookala Chinnasatyanarayana, G J R Krishnan and V Kamalakara Rao
- Vocal Recital By Dr. Nookala Chinnasatyanarayana
- Prize Distribution To Winners Of Annual Music & Dance Competitions
- Bharatanatyam By Priyadarshini Govind
- Violin Duet By Lalgudi G J R Krishnan & Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi
- Carnatic Vocal By Sudha Raghunathan
- Carnatic Vocal By Neyveli Santhana Gopalan
- Carnatic Vocal By Malladi Brothers
- Fusion Music By Rajesh Vaidya & Party
- Tamil Comedy Play Meesai Aanalum Manaivi
- Tamil Comedy Play Chocolate Krishna
Kalasagaram is a south-Indian cultural association situated in the East Nehru Nagar of East Marredpally, and has been organising Carnatic music concerts for more than 35 years now. The concerts are usually held in the Keyes High School campus in the open-air theatre. The singers are generally from outside Hyderabad, usually amateurs and upcoming artistes, and quite competent. Kalasagaram also occasionally stages south-Indian classical dances and Tamil plays.
The entry to this cultural festival is by daily donor passes of Rs. 100, Rs. 50 & Rs. 25 per head. Season passes are also available for Rs. 400, Rs. 300 & Rs. 200 per head. Please contact V Rajagopal, General Secretary of Kalasagaram, at 2773-1775 for further details.