Kalasagaram's 42nd Annual Festival of Music, Dance & Drama
is on at Keyes High School, from 28th November to 6th December.
Priyadarshini Govind will be performing a Bharatanatyam recital on the 2nd day of the festival. A commerce graduate with a degree in Mass Communication behind her, Priyadarshini Govind's vocation is Bharatanatyam. After her arangetram in 1974, she has been performing in all the major centres in India. She has also travelled extensively in Europe, North America, South Africa and Asia, on concert tours.
A disciple of Swamimalai K Rajarathnam and Kalanidhi Narayanan, Priyadarshini has, to her credit, several coveted awards. They include Kalaimamani - the highest award of the state of Tamil Nadu, Vasanthalakshmi & Narasimhachari Talent Endowment Award by the Narada Gana Sabha, and Singar-Maini by the Sur Singar Samsad of Mumbai.
The schedule of the 9-day festival is as follows:
- Nadaswaram By D A Ramulu & Party
- Felicitations & Conferring Of The Title "Sangeetha Kalasagara" On Dr. Nookala Chinnasatyanarayana, G J R Krishnan and V Kamalakara Rao
- Vocal Recital By Dr. Nookala Chinnasatyanarayana
- Prize Distribution To Winners Of Annual Music & Dance Competitions
- Bharatanatyam By Priyadarshini Govind
- Violin Duet By Lalgudi G J R Krishnan & Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi
- Carnatic Vocal By Sudha Raghunathan
- Carnatic Vocal By Neyveli Santhana Gopalan
- Carnatic Vocal By Malladi Brothers
- Fusion Music By Rajesh Vaidya & Party
- Tamil Comedy Play Meesai Aanalum Manaivi
- Tamil Comedy Play Chocolate Krishna
Kalasagaram is a south-Indian cultural association situated in the East Nehru Nagar of East Marredpally, and has been organising Carnatic music concerts for more than 35 years now. The concerts are usually held in the Keyes High School campus in the open-air theatre. The singers are generally from outside Hyderabad, usually amateurs and upcoming artistes, and quite competent. Kalasagaram also occasionally stages south-Indian classical dances and Tamil plays.
The entry to this cultural festival is by daily donor passes of Rs. 100, Rs. 50 & Rs. 25 per head. Season passes are also available for Rs. 400, Rs. 300 & Rs. 200 per head. Please contact V Rajagopal, General Secretary of Kalasagaram, at 2773-1775 for further details.